This week, let’s learn more about the benefits of white fungus (Chinese name: 银耳) from the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) perspective.
According to 中国药学大辞典 (Dictionary of Chinese Medicine), white fungus has the properties of 润肺生津，滋阴养胃。
The above means that white fungus can help to moisturize the lungs and promote the production of good fluids in the body. It can also help to promote the Yin energy in the stomach.
The thermal nature of white fungus is neutral so it is suitable for most people to eat, even when someone is feeling heaty.
White fungus has good benefits for the lungs and stomach organs.
For the lungs – It can help to moisturize the lungs and dissolve phlegm.
For the stomach – It can promote the Yin energy of the stomach.
Because of the above two properties, white fungus is commonly used for treating dry or heat-type coughs. It can even help to relieve cough with blood.
Another common use for white fungus is that it can be used for people with Yin deficiency in their stomach. If they have symptoms like dry mouth/throat and dry hard stools, they will find white fungus helpful.
Lastly, white fungus is a great food to eat all year round (especially during autumn) as a dessert with other foods for skin health.
The recommended daily dosage of white fungus is 3g to 10g per person.
White Fungus Dessert Recipe (for 1 Person)
The following is a recipe that helps to moisturize the lungs and is very suitable for people who have Yin deficiency body constitution. It can also relieve dry coughs.
- Dried white fungus (3 to 10g)
- Dried red dates (1 to 2 pcs)
- Dried lily (百合) (7g)
- Rock sugar (your preference)
1. Wash and soak white fungus (for 1 to 2 hours). Wash and soak lily (in warm water for 1 hour).
2. Tear the white fungus into smaller pieces so that it is easier to cook till it softens. Some people like to use a blender but you can use your hands too.
3. Cook the white fungus for up to 1.5 hours. If possible, stir the white fungus one or two times while it is cooking.
4. After cooking the white fungus for an hour, add in lily and red dates. For softer red dates, you can use a knife to cut a few slits on each of the red dates before you cook them.
5. During the last 10 to 15 minutes, put in rock sugar to taste.
There you have it! This dessert can be eaten once every month.
Hope you find this post useful and feel free to post any questions below!